Santa Clara Valley Medical Center – San Jose, CA
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center is a 574-bed acute care public teaching hospital affiliated with Stanford University Medical School. TBH supports the Santa Clara County Main Jail Complex Main Jail is a third-generation correctional facility that uses the direct supervision model, with a capacity designed to house up to 854 inmates. In this environment, 2-3 officers oversee a locked "module" or dormitory with up to 64 inmates. Some of the units are special management units with a lower capacity. Cases are similar to county population. The inpatient unit cases are similar to other acute psychiatric inpatient units in the community.
Detention Booking Services (Intake Unit)
- 16-hour shifts daily, provide 20 days off per month
- Shift times are 7am – 11pm
- Average caseload of 7-14 cases per shift
- In case the acute inpatient unit is not fully covered (3 psychiatrists) the booking psychiatrist will help cover the acute inpatient unit for 10 hours and can later continue in booking.
- Covers psychiatric patients arrested to provide initial evaluation, start or continue treatment, and admit to the inpatient unit if necessary.
- Access to clinical social worker to triage less acute patients when unit becomes busy
- Provide clinical support in the inpatient unit as needed